Thursday, March 6, 2008

Bistro on a Budget

A few months back, I read an article about O'Connell's American Bistro, formerly the old Hourglass on Kenmore Avenue. It piqued my interest because, well, the food sounded amazing, and because they offer a 2 course lunch for $12 and a 3 course lunch for $15. On Tuesdays, the 2 course lunch is only $10! So, as a belated birthday lunch, N. took me there on Tuesday for lunch.

The menu offered 5 starters and several main courses, all very tempting. I decided to start with a spring mix salad with poached pears, gorgonzola and a green fairy dressing. N. opted for the french onion soup. My salad was nicely composed and the green fairy dressing ( a cousin to green goddess?) had nice, lemony kick. N.'s french onion soup was earthy and delicious, a fry cry from the version we ate a while back at Gabriel's Gate. I had a hard time choosing an entree but went with the gnocchi with braised veal cheeks. I know, it's not PC but it sounded damn good. It was phenomenal. The veal was meltingly tender and, I don't know what a veal cheek even is but it flaked apart beautifully, sort of like a pot roast. The sauce was UNBELIEVABLE. It was made with the veal braising liquid, wine and heavy cream but there was a depth of flavor that belies the short list of ingredients. I don't think the gnocchi was housemade but the sauce was so good that I really didn't care. N. had steak frites, which was served cooked as ordered and dripping with an herbed butter. His was good but mine was stellar.

As both the entrees were so rich, we didn't order dessert although my friend, Chef Roo, who works in the kitchen makes the world's best creme brulee. Really, after a meal like that I probably didn't need to eat for another few weeks. We eneded with some tea and coffee even with that and tax, our meal came in well under $30. For a two course, gourmet lunch, I'll be back for sure.




No comments: