Monday, July 7, 2008

Little of This, Little of That #4

I'm working on a loooooooong post, promise, that's my excuse for my absence. No, I just started working on the long post last night as I experienced insomnia yet again, so it's really no excuse but it's summer, work is busy blase blase blah.

Anyway, let me give you a few nuggets to chew on while I craft a real meal.

-I made this slamming guacamole yesterday, the cilantro from the garden was so fresh and tender it almost had a sweet taste to it, amazing. I've made guac many times over the years-some recipes say only onions, others only garlic, some add sour cream. My tried and true ingredients though are avocado (clearly), red onion, garlic, lime, cilantro, ground chipotle, cumin and a little tomato if they're particularly lovely. I ate it with these tamari and seaweed rice crackers and perhaps that sounds odd but I assure you, it was perfection.

-Tempeh is disgusting. So, so bad. I know a lot of people don't like tofu (I am not one of those people) but there really isn't a ton of flavor, it just tastes like whatever it's cooked/marinated in. Tempeh though, ugh. From the beginning, it is removed from its package looking as highly processed as a kielbasa. Really, I don't want to eat anything that is the same shape as the package it came in. Plus, it has an awful, bitter, sharp chemical taste to it. I tried to choke it down on the first sitting but when I got to the leftovers on day two, I could pretend no longer.

-The Lexington Co-op has these lovely little inari stuffed with avocado and doused with sesame oil. The fried tofu exterior and rice interior soak up the sesame flavor and melt so lusciously with the ripe avocado. Damn, they are good. Sadly, I rarely get to the Co-op during the day and that seems to be the only time they're available.

-Suki/Buckley's 4th of July BBQ was awesome, especially that jerk chicken, ooh, my mouth is watering just thinking about it! Dan and Danielle's BBQ was also great; Danielle made a pasta dish with tons of basil, tomato and brie and I think I just gained a few pounds thinking about it.

Enough for now, I could go on like that all day but I've got work to attend to!



1 comment:

karima said...

Laila,
Reminder that basil is growing wildly in the garden at Brantford. Currants too. Help yourself!b