Wednesday, March 18, 2009

What I'm Eating


As you know, I haven't been too impressed with the food here in Chile. However, now I am home in my own place and can cook so it's not as much of an issue. Although I am limited by inability to find certain items (breadcrumbs, seriously?) and a meagerly furnished kitchen, I still manage to crank out some good eats.

The market here is great and cheap. For example, today I bought a kilo of oranges, celery, half kilo of carrots, two zucchini, two things of swiss chard, a head of cabbage, about a bushel of basil and a stack of hot peppers for about 3 dollars. Not too shabby. Anyway, I've been on a real beet, carrot and squash kick here, often slicing them all up, dousing with olive oil and sprinkling with merquen, a Chilean spice that is kinda smoky and hot. I toss the roasted vegetables with some brown rice to make a warm rice salad, squeeze on some fresh lemon juice, top with toasted walnuts, golden raisins and some cilantro and I am good to go. Simple pleasures.



ats

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

simple, indeed! and delicious and cheap and healthy and yummy looking!!! mmm mmm MMM!

Poundpapi said...

I'm not mad at this. Not even a little bit. Do you think it would be worth it for you to mail me vegetables at that price?

Anna-Beth Craftygrrrl said...

That picture makes me simultaneously want to eat and sew. Carrots and beets, two of my most beloved veggies. Orange and garnet, two of my most loved textile colors.
Keep an eye out for cool fabrics for me!
Oh, and my father just celebrated Dyngus again. I haven't talked to him since. I hope he isn't incarcerated.