Friday, May 9, 2008

I'm Starting to Sound Like a Broken Record

Isn't that phrase kind of funny and dated? Perhaps "I'm starting to sound like a scratched CD" is more accurate. Anyway, I have ONE MORE thing to say about ramps and then I'm done, promise. At first, I didn't get what was so special about them, I mean, just use leeks or onions or garlic or a combination, what's the big deal? My theory was that they are so highly touted only becasue they herald spring and are available just briefly. But when I tasted them in the chowder I made this week, I understood. When the greens are sauteed, they become lush, velvety, satin-esque and sensuous. I can't even compare their loveliness to any other sauteed green, spinach could perhaps come close but I've never had them melt so deliciously and also spinach leaves that nasty feeling on your teeth. OK, I'm ramped out, done, as promised.




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i think im in love already.. spinach has been my favorite vegetable since i was about 7 but alas, that gritty layer left on one's teeth is just not cute. my newest love, the ramp! i feel like skipping on over to whole foods right now..