Thursday, May 1, 2008

Wild Rice and Barley Salad

I alluded to this salad in my West Coast Wrap-up post and, as it was tasty and healthy and a good balance of fiber and protein, I made it again when I got home. However, it was so different from what my sister and I made that it's almost a different recipe now. Of course, this kind of salad I like to think of as a vehicle for a number of different flavors; adding some sort of acid, dried fruit, nuts and herbs will always be good. Inspired by my sister, I haven't been eating much meat lately and have been trying to focus more on eating my "superfoods" like barley and beans and berries. Fortunately, this salad has all three!

1/4 c. wild rice or brown rice
1/4 c. pearl barley
1 c. chicken stock or water
1/2 cup rinsed and drained canned white beans
1/3 cup dried cranberries
1/4 cup thinly sliced onion
1 T. red wine vinegar
1 t. extra virgin olive oil
1 t. Dijon mustard
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
zest and juice of one small to medium orange

Combine first 3 ingredients in a medium saucepan; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 40 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Remove from heat, and let stand, covered, 5 minutes. Spoon rice mixture into a medium bowl. Add beans, cranberries, and onions.
Combine vinegar and next 4 ingredients (through pepper) in a small bowl; stir with a whisk. Pour over barley mixture; toss well. Cover; chill 2 hours. Stir in cilantro and orange.


If you look at the original recipe, you can see where I made substitutions and additions, based mostly on what I had at home. I though both versions were very tasty, but the orange zest really perked up the revised recipe.






1 comment:

Anonymous said...

ooh interesting.. both the original and your version look yummy!! geez, there arent enough hours in the day and days in the year to try all of the lovely dishes i want to try!