Thursday, August 21, 2008

Jicama Salad

I have a great affinity for jicama. If you're not familiar with it, hmm, well, you should be because it's wonderful. It's crisp and refreshing and has few calories and lots of vitamin C. I've paired with with citrus before, orange or grapefruit segments, and it's quite tasty. Yesterday though, I was in the yard and noticed my pear tree was looking abundant and ripe. Interestingly, the pear has a similar texture to jicama so it made a very nice coupling. I tossed it with a bit of lime juice, sugar, rice wine vinegar, olive oil and chipotle powder and it was really tasty. I also think that it would make a nice entree if topped with grilled shrimp.


Jicama Salad:

1 medium jicama, peeled and cut into strips
1 large or 2 medium firm pears, like Bosc, seeded and cut into strips
1 lime, juiced
1 T. rice wine vinegar
1 T. olive oil
1 T. sugar or honey
1 t. chipotle powder

I cut everything up and added the dressing ingredients right in. If you want to make it with honey though, I would make the dressing separately and pour it over the strips of fruit/vegetables.





2 comments:

Anonymous said...

yummy in my tummy!! ...if only my tummy could handle citrus right now! :( anyway, i LOVE jicama and have only had it at restaurants b/c.. well, honestly i dont even think i know what it looks like! i think we should def have a little trip to market (wegmans, of course!) and cooking extravaganza next time i come home.. HOLLA!

karima said...

jicama amd pear....hmmmm. different duo. will add to my "to try" list.