Tuesday, August 19, 2008

New Orleans Food Schedule

So, I'm making my annual pilgrimage to my beloved New Orleans in October and I'm SO EXCITED! This time though, it will be different. Every time I end up in New Orleans, I find myself being pushed and pulled by other peoples' whims, wishes, schedules, whatever. It's my damn vacation and I plan on doing everything I want to do. In that vein, I have been devising my food schedule all morning and it's going to be a delicious journey!

On Thursday, I'll get in around 5 and my dear Mary Beth recommended a new place in the Quarter that she says is amazing. It's called the Orleans Grapevine and I looked at their menu online, I think I will have the BQ shrimp and the crabcakes, please. I'd also really like to stop by the Marigny Brasserie to sample the duck spring rolls on the bar menu. Or maybe their nine spice BBQ shrimp. Or rabbit debris over pappardelle. Possibly even pan-fried redfish with chickpea crust and sesame dressing.

Friday morning, I will be having a fried oyster po-boy upon waking up. I hope that it's at Liuzza's but anywhere will do in a pinch. Breakfast of champions! And I will eat fried pickles and drink an Abita amber in a frozen goldfish bowl. God, I love that place.

Friday night, I'm going to have dinner at Dooky Chase's if it kills me. I can't believe I've never eaten there. The proprietess, Leach Chase, is 80 something and has been nationally recognized for her fried chicken, gumbo, courtbouillon and so on. Katrina wiped her out and I was afraid I'd missed my chance to taste her fare but not so! She seems to be a tenacious lady.

Pearlie Wurlie and I have a BBQ shrimp tradition at Mr. B's. I tried it Pascal's Manale a while back but I still think Mr. B's has the best. Hopefully Pearlie will be awake by noon and we can go put on those silly bibs and lollygag at the bar with some colorful delusionals.

Saturday night we are checking into the Hilton Riverside and immediately going to dinner at Drago's. The charbroiled oysters will be consumed in mass quantities. I don't even think I want an entree, just about four dozen oysters.
I cannot go to New Orleans without a stop at Napoleon House for cool, creamy shrimp remoulade in an silken avocado boat and a Pimm's Cup, of course. New Orleans and Napoleon House introduced me to joy of a Pimm's Cup, so refreshing! Oh, and we're planning on going to the Abita brewery across the lake in Abita Springs. I'm sure I will eat more oysters there. I'm not sure how I'm going to fit all this in but I will surely try! In fact, I'm not sure I have any time left over for other activities after accounting for all my meals!

Finally, I will end my trip in Baton Rouge to see my gorgeous godson, Donovan. He's really enough of a draw but I will have to try the Baton Rouge-style white beans while I'm there. Apparently, white beans are to BR what red beans are to New Orleans. Curious, no?

There you have it folks, that's my itinerary, join me for some or all of it but by no means try to hijack my time or plans! I do not want to eat sushi or Indian when I'm in New Orleans nor do I want to sleep on your couch. I mean, thank you for all the couches I've slept on but this time, I'm doing my trip grown-up style. And it feels pretty good.


5 comments:

Live.Love.Eat said...

O. M. G. I'm jealous!!!! I'm like you in that I go online to check out menus of places I will visit so I can get excited about what I will eat. And chargrilled oysters?? I had these for the 1st time in June at Acme Oyster House in Destin and fell in love. I plan to make them at home sometime, just have to learn how to shuck an oyster without cutting my hand off. Have fun!!!!!

karima said...

Wow! What a whirlwind!

Live.Love.Eat said...

I will make sure to try Hoegarden. I am sure I won't forget the name - I will think of garden hoe.

Anonymous said...

awwww.. N'awlins grown-up style and with ALL these yummy selections!! girl, youre makin me already feel like im missing out! sounds like its gonna top our trip last year! if i wasnt in europe in october, id be booking my damn ticket like.. NOW!! eat lots for moi.. ill make sure to do the same in rome w/all the freshly made pasta!! and yeah.. WHY do ppl feel the need to eat nasty non-local foods on vacations.. some peeps tried to get me to a MEXICAN spot in bali.. HELL no, i live in cali, bee-a-tches!

Anonymous said...

ps. garden hoe as a little game to remember hoegaarden.. he he!