Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Buyer Beware: Thatcher's Elderflower Liquor

Do you love St. Germain? Does it elevate all of your cocktails to elegant heights and make you feel as if you are sipping on pixie dew? Yes? Me too. I love it but it's pricey. So naturally when I saw this bottle of Thatcher's Eldeflower liquor at HALF the price of St. Germain, I was intrigued. Add to that the appealing label and the word "organic" and I was sold. I'm so easy sometimes.

Well, let me save you $17.95. It's disgusting. I have tried it in several different iterations of various cocktails and it ruins them all. It tastes like it was made with aspartame. If you know me, you know I hate to waste, especially booze, but I have actually pitched drinks with this in it because it is so foul. My last attempts to salvage it for future use include;
1) Throwing some cherries in there to infuse it and hopefully mask the funk.
2) Mixing it with grain alcohol and green food coloring and selling them as half-priced hand grenades to drunken tourists on Mardi Gras Day.

Short of that, I'm afraid I'll just have to pour it down the drain. I hate alcohol abuse but so it must be.



No comments: