Saturday, November 17, 2007

Cornbread Strata with Broccoli Rabe

Wednesday rolled around, my favorite day, because its when the NY Times Dining Section is posted. I like Tuesdays for the Science Section and Saturdays for travel but Wednesday is the best day. Of course, it was very holiday-themed, including a discussiona of the best potatoes for mashing (Waxy or starchy? Who even knew this was a dilemma?) and what wine goes well with turkey and so on. It seems that someone is concerned about the vegetarians out there who apparently cannot cobble together some semblance of a meal from all the sides. OK, I'm being a little snarky. It's true that I plan to use chicken stock in my stuffing and how I would love to roast brussel sprouts with pancetta. Snarkiness aside, I considered this recipe as a hearty main course for vegetarians (but not vegans, oh no!) and/or different side dish for everyone else. I abandoned the idea, pronouncing it "too rich" for Thanksgiving. As if there is such a thing.

Anyway, a friend of the family just lost her mother a month ago and her brother this week! I found myself pretty deflated by this news and of course, the only way I know how to alleviate that helpless feeling when a loved one is going through rough times, is to cook. So I decided to make the Cornbread Strata for Cynde and her husband. I hope it helps a little.

By the way, the amounts listed in the Times recipe were absurd. I quartered it and, knowing how I have a penchant for overdoing things, I still thought it was ample.

1 1/2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, more for pan
1 garlic clove, minced
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1 pound broccoli rabe, outer leaves and thick stems removed; florets and tender stems coarsely chopped (about 3 cups)
1 teaspoon kosher salt, more to taste
1/4 cup chopped roasted red pepper
1/4 cup chopped pitted calamata olives
8 large eggs, lightly beaten
4 cups half-and-half or whole milk
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
2 pounds homemade or purchased corn bread, cut into 2-inch cubes (about 8 cups)
1 cup fresh ricotta cheese
6 ounces grated Gruyère cheese (1 1/2 cups)

1. Oil a 9-by 13-inch baking dish. In a large skillet, heat remaining oil over medium heat; add garlic and red pepper flakes and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add broccoli rabe and increase heat to medium-high. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 2 minutes. Add 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 cup water. Reduce heat to medium, cover, and cook until broccoli rabe is very tender, about 3 minutes longer. (If mixture looks watery when rabe is done, let simmer uncovered for a minute to dry it out.) Transfer to a bowl and stir in roasted pepper and olives.

2. Make a custard by whisking together eggs, half-and-half or milk, remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and the black pepper.

3. Spread corn-bread cubes in prepared dish. Scatter vegetable mixture over corn bread. Dot with dollops of ricotta. Pour custard evenly over corn bread. Sprinkle with Gruyère. Cover baking dish tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 4 hours or overnight.

4. When ready to bake strata, remove it from refrigerator and let rest at room temperature while oven preheats to 350 degrees. Bake until firm and golden on top, about 45 to 55 minutes. Cool at least 20 minutes before serving. Serve hot or warm.

Yield: 10 main-course servings or 16 side-dish servings.

Notes: Who in their right mind uses one clove of garlic for ten main-course servings.? I quartered the recipe and quadrupled the garlic. Silly Anglos. I used broccoli instead of rabe, close enough. I cut the red peppers and olives and subbed tomatoes. I'm pretty sure I used way more ricotta than the recipe called for and I dusted the top with romano instead of gruyere. I didn't taste this, it was a gift, but that golden, molten armor of cheese looked mighty enticing. I should have made two.




4 comments:

danikaw said...

Strata must be "in the air". I JUST posted a strata recipe on my blog today! And similarly, I felt I should have made 2 batches/pans of it.

Unknown said...

Where do I begin?
First, what a great idea..... it has been an absolute joy to read this
blog. Food, Buffalo references, family & friends who pop up as chefs,
humor, and all from one of my favorite beloved people. THANK YOU!

Second - I knew you could write, but GIRL..... You CAN WRITE. Trillum
has nothin on you. You need to get paid for this.

Third - I think I've gained 10 virtual pounds. I can see the food,
smell it, taste it - your descriptions have substance, flavor , and,
one of the best parts is I feel like I am sharing a meal with you,
which we have far too few chances to do these days.
Not being a big turkey fan, I may have found my dish for Thanksgiving - those Pilgrims went fishing.......

Laila said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

the strata was absolutely delicious. and thought so very sweet,and deeply appreciated. thank you again laila,
love, cynde