Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Spicy Swordfish with Spinach


I love a good piece of fish, simply sauteed in olive oil and butter, which is usually how I prepare swordfish. I don't think the firm, juicy fish needs much adornment. But I did something a little different last night and it was fantastic. It's a great way to prepare spinach as well, even if you prefer something more plain for the fish.

Spicy Swordfish and Spinach

1 6oz. piece of swordfish
1/4 medium onion, minced fine
1 clove garlic, minced fine
juice of 1/2 lemon
2 T. olive oil
1/8 t. smoked Spanish paprika
1/8 t. cumin
1/8 t. cajun seasoning
salt and pepper
spinach

Marinate the fish for 30 minutes in the spices, oil and lemon juice. Remove from the marinade and brush off any errant pieces of onion and garlic. Heat a small amount of olive oil and/or butter in a nonstick skillet and cook the fish in high for 3 minutes. Turn over and turn off the pan. Walk away for ten minutes and come back, remove the fish. Add the marinade to the pan and cook for 5-7 minutes, then add the spinach, tossing to mix evenly. Place the spinach on the plate, perch the fish on top and garnish with lemon slices and extra pan juices.

Notes: I made this for myself but I don't see why this can't be modified for a larger meal. I use Penzey's spices, available online. I like to order from them becasue their spices are much higher quality and much fresher than those factory-floor sweepings available in the grocery store. The cajun seasoning I used contains sweet paprika, salt, celery, sugar, garlic, black pepper, onion, oregano, cayenne, caraway, dill, turmeric, cumin, basil, bay leaf, mace, cardamom, marjoram, rosemary and thyme. The sear-on-one-side-and-walk-away method works well for me when cooking fish because I have a tendency to overcook it. You can, of course, cook it however you like, as long as you get a beautiful, spicy crust on the outside. Although I favor my cast iron skillet, I like nonstick for fish because it is easier to turn over without ripping the delicate flesh.





4 comments:

karima said...

I know what we'll be having for dinner Friday. Spicy swordfish,(I'll get the swordfish at the Broadway Market) and roasted beet salad.

Anonymous said...

this sounds just delicious and really simple-- i'll have to try it! but DAMN didn't add cajun seasoning to my last penzeys order.. may have to place another one darn it! love how your mom and greg rep the broadway market btw.. i remember walking around that place with my mama as a little girl.. go old 'hood!!

Anonymous said...

Where do I begin?
First, what a great idea..... it has been an absolute joy to read this
blog. Food, Buffalo references, family & friends who pop up as chefs,
humor, and all from one of my favorite beloved people. THANK YOU!

Second - I knew you could write, but GIRL..... You CAN WRITE. Trillum
has nothin on you. You need to get paid for this.

Third - I think I've gained 10 virtual pounds. I can see the food,
smell it, taste it - your descriptions have substance, flavor , and,
one of the best parts is I feel like I am sharing a meal with you,
which we have far too few chances to do these days.

karima said...

DID make this delectable dish Friday night and it was smashing. I did add a (generous) splash of Riesling(it happens to be what G.just uncorked for our dinner) to the marinade and was heavy handed with the lemon juice.