Monday, June 9, 2008

Indian-Inspired, Curry-Rubbed and Rolled Up Like a Burrito

I made a very satisfying dinner last night that I can only describe as an Indian-style burrito. I made this with turkey cutlets but I would venutre to say that it would be lovely with shrimp or even grilled vegetables. I took several pictures but none really did it justice. Anyway, the spicy turkey played off the cool raita marvelously, the light crunch of cucumber and acidic punch of mango made for a perfect meal on a hot afternoon.



Raita:

1 cup plain yogurt
1/3 cup mango chutney
1/2 mediuum cucmber, diced
1/4 medium onion, sliced very thin
1 clove garlic
mint
cilantro
cumin

Everything Else:

2 turkey cutlets
2 T. curry paste
olive oil
2 pieces of naan
avocado

Rub the turkey cutlets with curry paste and let sit for at least 30 minutes. While you're waiting, make the raita. A few words on that; I love raita. It works such magic against heat and spice. I put different things in it depending on what I've got but I am partial to fresh mint or cilantro or in yesterday's lucky example, both. I've seen recipes that call for garlic OR onion, I'm not expert on Indian cuisine but my palate prefers both. Cucumber and cumin are also essentials; the first provides that delicate flavor and the latter gives a smoky undertone. I used a store-bought mango chutney to this raita and I will never make the mistake of buying it again. It really pales in comparison to homemade. Only problem with making it yourself is that the shelf-life is pretty short. Sheesh, I gotten away from the directions for the rest of the recipe, sorry! Anyway, mix up all the ingredients for raita. Heat up two skillets with a bit of oil in one and a light mist in the other. Sear the turkey on both sides, it only needs to cook a few minutes per side. In the lightly misted pan, I like to grill the naan so it's warm and soft and pliable but I suppose you can skip that, if you like hard, dry bread.
Place a cutlet in the warm naan, top with chutney and slice of avocado and have at it!

As per request, the following is a recipe for mango chutney that I've used for the past several years. Only changes I make are; I often eliminate the bell pepper, I never add raisins or nuts and hardly ever make the entire batch. Also, I taste throughout, adding more sugar or vinegar as needed.

4 pounds fresh mangos, ripe but not too soft, peeled
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 teaspoon chile flakes
2 1/2 cups medium dice red onion
1/4 cup minced fresh ginger
1 cup small dice red bell pepper
8 ounces unsweetened pineapple juice
4 ounces cider vinegar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 1/2 tablespoons curry powder
Kosher salt and fresh ground white pepper
1/2 cup raisins or golden raisins
1/2 cup toasted, roughly chopped macadamia nuts

Cut the mango flesh away from the pit. The pit is shaped similar to an obelisk, so you'll end up with 2 large pieces and 2 smaller pieces from each mango. Roughly chop the flesh.
In a saute pan heat the oil and add the chile flakes. Be careful not to burn the chile, just toast to flavor the oil. Add the onions and sweat until soft. Add the ginger and bell pepper and saute for 1 to 2 minutes. Finally add the mango and cook for 1 more minute.

In a separate bowl, combine the pineapple juice, vinegar, sugar, and curry powder. Add this mixture to the pan. Stir to combine. Bring the mixture to a bare simmer and reduce for about 30 minutes, stirring frequently. Season with salt and pepper. Add the raisins and the nuts and transfer to another container over an ice bath. I used a mild yellow curry powder, but if you want it hotter go for red.






4 comments:

karima said...

Do you have a favorite recipe for mango chutney?

Laila said...

Why yes, m'lady, I do. I've added it to the post, good suggestion.

Anonymous said...

awesome, thanks for the mango chutney recipe ma lady! the trader joe's mango-ginger version is pretty darn mediocre!! can u freeze this stuff to combat the short shelf life (for all of us single and fabulous women out there!)

Anonymous said...

Well written article.