Wednesday, May 6, 2009

This and That

I have so many random things to document so I will utilize my favorite writing method, the list, to share some of observations about Chile. This is a topic that I could go on about forever and will definitely elaborate on in future posts but I am getting so very behind so here goes.

-Linguistically, Chile kills me. Obviously, all countries and regions that share a common language have their own distinctive vocabularies, slang etc. but Chile is known for having an unusually colorful and varied dialect known as chilenismos. I actually bought a book prior to leaving the US, entitled Chilenismos, and while it has been somewhat helpful and an endless source of entertainment to my Chilean acquaintances, it is a bit limited. First up, the addition of "po" at the end of every word. At first, I thought "this is dumb, so totally unnecessary, I will NOT leave here saying si-po, no-po etc." Except that is is hilarious and sooooo Chile. Entonces, not only do I say si-po, no-po, obvio-po, ya-po, but I also add it onto English words to make myself laugh. Hence, when I am back in the US, expect to hear me say things like "Turn off the stove-po!" "What are we doing tonight-po?" and so on. Po.

-The use of words such as "claro," "obvio," and "logico" when things are neither clear, obvious nor logical. For example, last week, I got up on a Monday morning and the boys were in the kitchen. I still can't quite understand school schedules but I am quite sure that at 9am, they should have been there already. I asked if they had school that day and they told me "Obvio." OK. Then Coti asked if I could stay with them for a bit while she ran an errand. Sure. She got back around 11:30 and told the boys they would have lunch and then off to school. "Pero Mama, nooooooooo, por que???!!!" And she responded "You have to go school. Obvio. Logico." I don't think it was obvious or logical why the boys weren't in school already but hey, what do I know?

-Kissing. No, I am not talking about a romance, mullets and skinny jeans are in fashion here and I just can't get with that in my men. I'm talking about kissing as in greeting and then again to say goodbye. Generally, I like this quite a bit but it was a tad unnerving when I went to get my toes done and afterwards my pedicurist grabbed my face with both hands and exuberantly pulled me in for a farewell beso. Then I get confused sometimes about when it is appropriate, like last week when I got out of a cab and almost kissed the driver before I thought better of it.

-Lying and roundabout communication. Chileans think it is rude to talk directly, it's considered cold. Therefore, they will talk around and around and around to say something that could be accomplished with about 43244255 fewer sentences. Thus, it is also rude to say no so you can expect to be lied to if you ask a question with a negative response. Similarly, it is more socially acceptable to stand people up or not return calls rather than deliver bad news. Hmmm.

In other news, I moved again for the final time last night. I am absolutely enchanted by my new home but my camera is acting funky so I will hopefully have some pictures sooner than later. And, the big news for those who don't already know, I have made a decision about school this fall and I will be moving to New York City to attend COLUMBIA!!! You didn't think I was that smart, huh? Me neither. Wish me luck!




8 comments:

danika said...

Um, is ANYTHING in Chile "claro" or "obvio"? This seems to be in direct opposition to the "talking around" and telling white lies.

eaglesandgardens said...

I was reading Marlyn( the guy I work with, you met him before) your post-- about po-, which I found so funny... He responded- yeah- some people end everything with a yo.. What up yo ? Turn off the stove yo ! No yo !
Glad to hear you are having a great time and that you are enjoying your new pad....
Take good care of yourself !

HLP - other half said...

those crazy chileans! i've started using PO! on a somewhat regular basis, myself now! rude-PO, don't interrupt! and i don't even know spanish-po! oh, and i definitely thought you were that smart. mama mexicos, HOLLA! Po.

karima said...

Felicidadespo! (?)

RE: Columbia.

Laila said...

Kelly-so true! Great observation!
Thanks all for the love and support!

dcarlo said...

The 'po' is very special. I almost died when I first heard it. It gets even better when the 'o' is dropped, which seems to happen with older Chileans and in heated conversations, usually it is aspirated as well, i.e. 'Siphhhh'. Fantastic, no? Cachai? Ha.

Aunt Mae said...

Hey,
Happy you are enjoying yourself.
And congrats po, to your decision to attend Columbia, in NYC.
Thanks for sharing,
AM &US

Anna-Beth said...

I think I love the list format. Girl, you are Hilarious.
Are you sending the UW a note letting them know of your decision? "That's OK, suckas. I've decided to go all Ivy league anyhoo. Po."