Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Chicken Chili

I made a really good pot of chili last night. I was inspired to pore through recipes for a "white chili" but nothing really popped out at me. I should warn you that measurement is not my forte but this is the best estimation of my Monday night chili. In honor of last night's amazing goal in overtime, I will call this chili....

Kotalik Chili

olive oil
1.5 lbs chicken breast, chopped
2 onions, chopped
1 large bell pepper, chopped
6-8 cloves of garlic, minced
1 T. coriander
2 T. cumin
2 T. chili powder
1 packet Sazon
2 chipotles in adobo, chopped
1 15 ounce can cannellini beans
1 15 ounce can butter beans
1 28 ounce can of crushed tomatoes
1 quart vegetable stock
File powder

Heat olive oil in a large pot. Season chicken with salt and pepper and brown for a few minutes.
Remove chicken and add onions. Cook on medium-high heat for a couple of minutes and then turn down the heat and caramelize for 30-40 minutes. Add garlic and bell peppers and cook 2 minutes. Add spices, stir and cook a few more minutes. Add the rest of the ingredients and return the chicken to the pot. Cook on low for about 45 minutes. I like a thicker chili, so I smashed some of the beans against the side of the pot. I also added some file powder at the end, which is ground sassafras root that is often used to thicken gumbo.

Notes: I didn't use canned tomatoes because I am using up the last of my tomato harvest. I would estimate that a 28 ounce can is a fine substitute. Also, I used vegetable stock that I made with tomatoes, celery and carrots. I'm sure any stock or even water would be fine.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I hope you made some cornbread to go with this!