Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Yo, Ho, Ho and a Bottle of Rum

I was honored to be invited back to dinner with AB and her family, this time at their marvellously redone old Victorian a few blocks from my house. When I arrived, AB was up to her elbows in a mountain of potatoes, onions and olive oil while P. was voraciously scrubbing clams over the sink. G. immediately made me a cocktail, with rum from mysterious Carribbean origins and ginger beer. The ginger beer left a lingering heat in my mouth, unlike the quick heat of the liquor, very nice.

We leisurely sipped our drinks and discussed the Seattle-ites visit to the Niagara Falls and the Frank Lloyd Wright house. As we sat down at the table, AB scooped out the roasted potatoes, onions, tomatoes and clams in a delightful garlicky broth. On to the main course; we had a pot roast that was inspired by the Tortuga Rum Fever and Caribbean Party Cookbook. Needless to say, it had tons of rum, allspice and so on. It was as succulent as a pot roast should be. Alongside the pot roast were roasted parsnips and carrots. (I should also tell you that the proprieter of one of my favorite Buffalo restaurants was there. To preserve confidentiality, I will keep the names a secret. Anyway, when I remarked how I love parsnips so, he told me that when he makes mashed parsnips, he cooks them right in the milk! Well, milk (3 parts) and some water (1 part) but I found this most appetizing.) Baked beans with some more of that fine rum, rainbow chard and these light biscuits with cheese, bacon and tomato were excellent additions to our table.

Finally, we get to my absolute favorite part. We had two desserts; a pumpkin pie with a ginger-pecan crumb topping and a lemon-confit shortbread tart. My heart palpitated. I think I got diabetes just looking at it. But I forged ahead and ate a piece of both, topped liberally with fresh whipped cream with, yes that's right, rum. I have come to adore lemon in desserts and this was no exception. It was the tartest lemon flavor I could imagaine; thin slices of lemon cooked down in sugar and encased in a sugar-dusted, almond-butter shortbread. The pumpkin pie was incredible and I savored bites of it between the wickedly sour tart.

Farewell 'til next year, AB, I will think fondly of you and look forward to your next visit!

3 comments:

karima said...

I made this lemon confit last year for a french-themed dinner I hosted. I was SO tart I feared for the countenances of my guests,lest they be twisted into permanent winces. If I ever attempt this recipe again,I would increase the sugar a bit, probably another 1/4 cup.

danikaw said...

Wow, this meal sounds so good I may have to fly east w/ AB next time she's in town so I can attend!

Laila said...

Yes, it was very tart, which I liked but may be a bit much for general consumption. Yes, let's go ahead an modify this recipe by adding more sugar to the confit.