Thursday, October 18, 2007

Green Tomato Chutney

If you know me, you know that I abhor wasting food. So even though I really did not like old Isa's vegan stew, I resigned myself to leftovers last night. I quickly made some couscous and added that to the reheated stew. I topped it with a liberal amount of green tomato chutney that I made last week and with that addition, I was able to choke down said, foul stew. I love green tomato chutney so I could probably eat a tire with some of that sour-sweet concoction slathered on top. Actually, I have been waiting all summer for this exact time; when I know that there will not be enough sun or warmth to ripen many more tomatoes and I can harvest the green ones for my chutney.

Green Tomato Chutney

5 lbs green tomatoes, diced or coarsely chopped
1 small onion, sliced thin
2 inches ginger root, peeled and minced
2 chili peppers, minced or crushed red pepper flakes
2 T. curry powder
1/3 c. cider vinegar
1/3 c. brown sugar
1/3 c. juice, something acidic like pineapple or orange
golden raisins

Heat olive oil in a pot, add onions and cook until translucent, about 15 minutes. Add ginger, chili peppers and curry powder, cook for 2-3 minutes.
Add the green tomatoes, vinegar, sugar and juice. Bring to just a boil and turn down to simmer for about 45 minutes. Stir in raisins when done.

Notes: Keep tasting throughout, I often add more sugar to temper the heat or thicken it slightly. It's pretty hard to mess this up unless you forget about it and let it burn so just keep adding and tasting. It's good on top of anything; with lentils, on top of fish, I will even eat it mixed with some yogurt and cucumbers.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

test through anonymous

karima said...

made green tomato jam(with e bit of apple) last week but this sounds much more enticing.

karima said...

This cans up nicely. Good idea for holiday gifts.
To process:
Put hot chutney into hot, sterilized jars (I just bring a couple of quarts of water to a boil and pour over jars and lids.) Leave about 1/4" of head space. Screw on lids loosely and boil in hot water bath (make sure jars are completely submerged) for 10 minutes. Lids will "pop" and indent. If they don't, refrigerate.

karima said...

Made a batch of this chutney and added some chunk pineapple and little red peppercorns.
Looks beautiful and tastes HOT.