Monday, January 7, 2008

Kuni Ku Ku

Kuni's, the famed Elmwood sushi spot, quietly reopened last year on Lexington, doing a brisk business in takeout only. This works fine for me since I was never able to get a table at the old place anyway.

We ordered a feast on Saturday night. I have never had their wasabi shumai and they were outstanding. I love wasabi and always add it bit by bit to my soy sauce. It's never enough and then I always make the mistake of adding just a bit more and completely ruin the balance. Well, the wasabi in these little dumplings achieves that perfect balance of nostril-flaring heat without subsequent head throbbing.
My other two favorites were the spicy tuna roll and oddly, the avocado roll. I always thought the avocado roll was so boring, avocado and rice when I can have three kinds of fish, tobiko, unagi and sprouts all in one? In my older age, I have come to appreciate that less is sometimes more and when less means perfectly ripe avocado with sticky, well-seasoned sushi rice, then I'm all about it. We also ordered just a fillet of a salmon, grilled, nothing extra and it was golden-crusted on the outside and moist and tender inside.

I hear their lunchtime bento box special is the way to go so anyone looking for a lunch date, let me know.



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hmm.. do they use mayo in their spicy tuna rolls? i personally hate when places don't use mayo, so im curious..

Anonymous said...

hmm.. do they use mayo in their spicy tuna rolls? i personally hate when places don't use mayo, so im curious..