Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Zucchini Bread Update

I posted a recipe for the best zuchinni bread I ever made here a couple of weeks ago. Sadly, it did not survive longer than two hours so I decided to make it again this weekend, albeit with some minor tweaks. In an effort to make this bread even more healthy so that I could justify eating the whole thing by myself, I made the following changes and it still turned out marvelous.

-Instead of 1/3 c. whole wheat flour and 2/3 c. white flour, I made the ratio 1:1. Increase the iron and fiber while adding to the texture of the bread? It's a win-win situation. I was afraid of messing up the balance and yielding a heavy loaf but it was light as air.

-I decreased the the amount of sugar from 3/4 c. to 2/3 c. I was able to get away with this by the addition of dried fruit.

-I bought some apricots on Saturday for no reason and, as I gnawed my way through them Sunday morning, I thought I'd chop up the remaining ones and add to to the mix. I also was bringing this to a friend with a nut allergy so I skipped the pecans in favor of the apricots. Then I made another loaf with apricots AND almonds. Delightful.

-Even more black pepper. Still not enough. Next weekend, I'll try 15 turns of my pepper mill for maximum effect.

And finally, my mother served this alongside another one of those chocolate truffle pies she made last week (She made it becasue she had creme fraiche left over and of course, since there is no other known use for creme fraiche, she simply HAD to make another one. Flawless logic.). I thought my apple-butter, dried apricot concoction would taste like sawdust next to the truffle pie but it actually stood up quite well and provided a nice foil to the intense chocolate.

Next Up: World's Best Meatballs (No, I am not humble.)




3 comments:

karima said...

I concur that the zucchini bread with the addition of dried apricots was the BOMB!

Anonymous said...

dude, i dont know who is funnier-- you or your mom on these things.. bomb, eh?

Anonymous said...

geez, i dont know whos funnier.. you or your mom on this thing- bomb, eh?