Monday, April 7, 2008

Fish Fry Update

It just occurred to me that I was supposed to be spending the winter eating wings at various joints and reporting back on my findings. I've done a lot more fish fry eating than I have wing eating so I need to get back on track with that.

In any case, my mother and sister joined my father and me on an adventure out to Tonawanda this past Friday. If you know me, you are probably aware that I don't like to trek too far from home for shopping, dining and so on. But I heard that this place, Squire's Tap Room, still served a yellow pike fish fry. Intruigued, we decided to give it a try.

We arrived right at 5pm and the dining room was packed! I know fish fry night means early dining time but my goodness! Within a few minutes we were seated and had our orders in. I was disappointed that the yellow pike fish fry was only a special on certain nights so I wasn't able to try that. They do offer a mini fish fry, which actually wasn't mini at all, becasue the regular fish fry had two large pieces of fish! It was one of the best fish frys I've had around town; the battre was crunchy and not too thick or overdone, the fish was flaky and moist and the sides were all delicious. For the four of us, dinner was a whopping $27.90! I love this place and next time, I might order the Warrior Combo, which is 5 wings and beef on weck. How do you love that, Buffalo?




2 comments:

Finger Puppet said...

I think I read a review on this place recently, and I've been dying to give it a try.... I remember reading that the regular fish fry comes with two pieces! When is the yellow pike available, we must go and try it out!

PS - for the sake of our Fish Fry diary, I must make an entry for the "Never again" category..... Joe's Deli on Hertel. Yeah, what was I thinking getting fish fry at a deli, but it was terrible. Bad fries, bad sides, and parts of the batter was bruned and other parts uncooked. Blech!

karima said...

As one who was there, I cast my vote for Squire's. Had the mini fish fry with a baked sweet potato, which was very satisfying Fast, friendly service.