Friday, December 28, 2007

Christmas Dinner

After stuffing myself with French toast, sausage and an ungodly number of Christmas cookies, I really wanted to curl up in my bed and pass out but my mother strong-armed us into going to church with her so I bravely soldiered on. I forgot that sometimes I seem to be afflicted with narcolepsy, particularly in lectures, important meetings and church. Especially when full. Anyway, we made it through mass, just to go home for a veeeeeeery wee nap and off to Christmas dinner at Greg's house.

My contribution was a snazzy little combination of salty bacon and sweet dates. Well, I had to use turkey bacon to accomodate all present, which is fine, but I think this would have been better with prosciutto. Also, I was slightly disturbed that the first ingredient in the turkey bacon was mechanically separated turkey. Why do they have to say that? They must be legally obligated to put that on the package, otherwise they wouldn't because I'll you that I personally find that abhorrent. Moving along though, this is an easy snack for parties and it's a crowd pleaser. Simply wrap half a slice of bacon around a date, secure with a toothpick and bake at 350 until the bacon is crisped. The dates carameliza and get oozy and the bacon is a perfect contrast. Mmm.

But dinner was beyond compare. Greg made the most succulent turkey I've ever had, one of those pop-on-a-beer-can and throw-it-on-the-grill joints. That always sounded too messy for me but I can attest to its deliciousness. Other stars were candied sweet potatoes with cinnamon sticks, collard greens with smoked turkey, glazed green beans with pearl onions, mashed potaoes, oyster dressing, mushroom dressing and cranberry sauce. And macaroni and cheese. I made that last bit its own sentence to really highlight how great this macaroni and cheese was. Kimberly, the chef, she outdid herself this time. I was so full but I went back for more macaroni and mashed potatoes, a flurry of starch indeed. I was beyond full at that point and I had to pretend to eat dessert. I guess I just gave myself away but I'd like you to think of it as less that I didn't want dessert and more that I really couldn't get enough of Kim's macaroni.

Next Up: Polish Christmas Meat Fest




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

girl. send me kim's recipe for mac and cheese.. ive got a request over here and barefoot contessa's 5 chz penne looks a bit too fancy to satisfy our cravings.. um, also, you may try to pay a bit extra for the fancy turkey bacon from the health food store or co-op.. thats what i generally buy and i THINK (but i cant be certain) that it does not utilize "mechanically separated turkey" although i'll cry if next time i check, it says that.. YUK!!